Rediscovering the 'Me' in 'Mumeeeeeee'

'I have always thought that there is no more fruitful source of family discontent than a housewife’s badly-cooked dinners and untidy ways'. (Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, 1861)

June 2, 2009

A Mum For All Seasons

Well hurray – summer has arrived, and not a moment too soon. I was really getting more than a little fed up of the e-n-d-l-e-s-s days spent indoors as another late spring day brought lashing rain and howling wind. Cabin fever had well and truly set in and I think we were all seriously in danger of contracting scurvy, rickets or any number of unpleasant diseases.

Thankfully, the sun finally decided to put his hat on and we all came out to play.

So, why is it that having spent months willing for long sunny days, I now find myself bothered by the heat and wish it was a little cooler?

It’s tough being a mum in extreme weather. I battled through the snowy, freezing winter days worrying about the small people being too cold. I wrapped them up to the point where they could barely move and dragged myself out of bed in the wee small hours to tuck in blankets.

Now the sun is shining and I find myself chasing the two of them round the garden trying to apply suncream to their ivory skins and to put their hats back on. We walk or cycle down to the shops for an ice cream and I spend the journey back worrying that I didn’t put any suncream on their toes which are poking out of their Doodles. And, although the barbeques with family and friends are lovely, I seem to spend most of the time sitting in the shade doing jigsaws and trying to get fluids into the boys while everyone else relaxes in the sun and worries about getting fluids into themselves!

I’m not complaining really – or maybe I am, just a little.

Since I lost my footing on the corporate ladder (my preferred terminology for being made redundant!), people often ask me if I miss the world of work. In weather like this, not one bit! I may be a bit hot and a bit cross, but I’d rather inflate a paddling pool than someone else’s ego any day of the week!

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin