Rediscovering the 'Me' in 'Mumeeeeeee'

'I have always thought that there is no more fruitful source of family discontent than a housewife’s badly-cooked dinners and untidy ways'. (Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, 1861)

September 15, 2009

The Seven Deadly Sins (of parenting)

I think I must be in a time machine because someone mentioned today that it is, unbelievably, only 7 weeks to Hallowe’en (I didn’t stay long enough for them to tell me how many shopping days to Christmas but I’m sure the lovely Pippa at A Mother’s Ramblings can help you on that one).

Anyway, I’m pleased because I love Hallowe’en. It's a particularly busy time of year at Hot Cross Mum Towers, being the anniversary of our engagement, three days after the bigger boy’s birthday and one day before our wedding anniversary (you do the maths!).

So, in anticipation of all things evil, dreadful and spooky, I thought I would pay a visit to the dark side of parenting. So here goes with ‘The Seven Deadly Sins (of parenting)'.

First up – LUST.

Hmm - this is a tricky one. Of course as parents we lust after ‘things’ – baby and child paraphernalia which we probably don’t need but absolutely, completely have to have. But more of this later under ‘Greed’. For the sin of lust, I’m taking you on a little voyage of escapism. So, mums (and dads - keep reading), I present to you, for your sleep-deprived-eyes and general lustful pleasure:

Ten Lust-Worthy Dads
1. Brad Pitt'Brad-dad' - uber-daddy extraordinaire2. David Beckham'WAG-dad' - probably the best dad in the world?3. Matthew Fox'Jet-lag-dad' - who wouldn’t want to get Lost with this dada?4. Hugh Jackman'Bad-dad' - you can dress up in your wolf-suit any day, you 'Wild Thing' you5. Colin Farrell'One-of-the-lads-dad' - Guinness drinking, smoking, swearing - grrrrrr6. Dave Grohl'Dad-rock' - especially for all you mum rock-chicks out there 7. Clive Owen'Action-dad' - stubbly and terribly British 8. Ben Affleck'Dad-next-door' - a tad dull perhaps but pleasing on the eye nonetheless9. Barack Obama - 'American-dad' - a president with the 'phwoar' factor



10. Harrison Ford - 'Grand-dad' - well, he was good back in the day!
And for the dads out there:

Ten Mums to lust after
1. Angelina Jolie
Oh come on, she just about qualifies as ten mums and there surely isn’t anyone more lust-worthy – is there?

Now, don't say I never give you anything nice.

Next week, we continue our sinful journey with 'Gluttony' - are we, as parents, guilty of over-consumption?
Share/Save/Bookmark

16 comments:

  1. Hello?!?! You've overlooked Matt Damon - 'Too cool for school' Dad: "If you were in your office, we'd be having this conversation face to face."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh? Only one yummy-mum? We dads have been a bit short-changed here, haven't we? (And personally, I'm devastated not to have made the top ten...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a bad line up there, not many I would kick out of bed for farting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. MartiniMummy - ooops, sorry. A massive oversight!
    Dotterel - tee hee - you guys get fat too much totty anyway. Pls submit photo and I'll add you in next time (this may be a lie!)
    VBH - or snoring, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That should have said 'far' too much totty. Damn you clumsy fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has to be Hugh Jackman for me, and of course Matt Damon. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, lovely, but aren't the Brangelinas on the verge of imploding? I have this on the good authority of a mag I read in the hairdressers ....still I suppose that pops Brad back on the market, though I doubt he'll be seen down Dulwich way ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great excuse for an ogle, that. I'm not so much into Dave Grohl, but the rest of the list tells me we don't want to be the only two women left on an island full of men. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great lineup, I do think Obama is a top pick. You did forget to also mention Ryan Phillippe....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just to add that I have an award for you over at mine. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delighted you all enjoyed this dad-fest. Apologies for missing any favourites. And following the lovely dads, I get two taggings - marvellous!!! Thank you very much Dulwich Divorcee and Very Bored Housewife.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm up for the Matt Damon addition please.... moving up under Brad (oh er, there's a thought...) to slot number two.. Picure Pleeeeeaaassssse.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aah, Hugh Jackman for sure. You never hear a bad word about him!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice list, but you overlooked the fab Eric Bana -- maybe Australian Dad!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin