Rediscovering the 'Me' in 'Mumeeeeeee'

'I have always thought that there is no more fruitful source of family discontent than a housewife’s badly-cooked dinners and untidy ways'. (Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, 1861)

September 22, 2009

The 'X-cess Factor'

(Firstly, apologies for the picture!)

Continuing the theme of the 'Seven Deadly Sins of Parenting', I wonder just how many of us are guilty of gluttony ‘the over-indulgence and over-consumption of anything to the point of waste….an obsessive anticipation of meals, and the constant eating of delicacies and excessively costly foods’. Ahem, cough, erm, that will be me then!

To find out if you too are a gluttonous sinner, I give you the ‘X-cess Factor’ quiz. Oh go on, you know you want to!

1. When out for a meal without the children do you:
a) Enjoy a pleasant two courses and one bottle of wine or
b) Have a five course slap up meal and three bottles of wine to the point at which you need to lie down in the recovery position?

2. After sitting the children at the table for their mid-morning drink of water and a handful of apple rings do you:
a) Join them and have the same or
b) Hide around a corner of the kitchen and have a huge mug of coffee and five chocolate hob nobs?

3. When giving the children fishfingers and chips for their tea do you:
a) Cook just enough for them or
b) Cook two extra fishfingers and plenty more chips for yourself?

4. When visiting a play centre with the children do you:
a) Look forward to watching them run around with delight or
b) Look forward to the large latte and homemade scone with butter and jam which you will get at the earliest opportunity?

5. When the children are given easter eggs or selection boxes do you:
a) Share them out steadily to the children over a period of weeks without touching them yourself or
b) Keep one or two for the children and munch your way through the rest over two days and nights (once opened and all that…)?

6. When visiting a friend’s house for a playdate and taking cakes or biscuits along with you do you:
a) Insist that they keep them for themselves and enjoy them at a later date
b) Hope that they open them so you can devour half because you’ve had your eye on them all morning?

7. When visiting the M&S Foodhall to pick up an emergency loaf of bread and litre of milk do you:
a) Purchase only what you went in for or
b) Emerge with two shopping bags full of Crunchy Combo crisps, a packet of Yum Yums, three tubs of mini bites, a packet of croissants, two bottles of wine and a Meal Deal consisting of a large roast chicken pie, dauphinoise potatoes and profiteroles - just because it’s Friday!

Score 1 point for every a) response and 10 points for every b) response. If you have over 7 points I am afraid you are shockingly gluttonous and as guilty as sin. You can come round to my house anytime!!

Next week: 'Greed': stuff, stuff and more stuff.

Share/Save/Bookmark

8 comments:

  1. Guilty as charged, but getting less gluttonous by the day. I'm liking the smaller jeans too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahem. I'm not counting up my score, sorry! But the occasionally sneaky indulgence is sometimes the thing that gets me through the day. As long as I don't end up looking like that man (ew) I'm okay with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear - I got a 52. 'Nuff said.

    How I am not the size of a house I will never know. I've never eaten so much in my life as I do now. But honestly? Those sneaky chocolate hobnobs are the only thing that keep me going and stop me passing out in an exhausted stupor.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. 34...that can't be true. Thought I would have scored 70. I'm the biggest glutton I know! Must have done it wrong!! Am I still invited to yours??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this the other day and laughed out loud. Can't remember why I didn't leave a comment. Perhaps I was eating.
    70 *hangs head in shame, not laughing any more*
    When shall I could round! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou for making me laugh out loud :) So funny... I nearly choked on my mars bar! its so true, not sure where my will power went... not sure I want it back either ;))

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin